Sunday, October 11, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is our Thanksgiving day here in Canada.  I look back since the last one and tally all the things that have come to pass.  Mostly I am thankful for my partner in life, Sally.  My stalwart companion through all things thick and thin.  She makes my life much more enjoyable and easier.

Last year, the shop was just a dream, and now I am working in it.  It is not done, but it is a far sight better than what I had last year.  The last few days I have not spent much time in it.  We went to Stratford on my quest to find the set screws I need for the jointer.  Well, I did manage to find some, but only in lots of 100, and I only need 6.  So I called the first folks I went to in Clinton as they said they could order some if the normal machine screws I got from them (for 15 cents) did not work....and they didn't.  But I had fun messing around anyway, so it was worth the try.

Yesterday, which was Saturday, I finally went out to the guitar jam in Mitchell.  After the Desperado video, it is very apparent that I need to get back into shape.  I grabbed the S&P 6 that I did the string change video on and headed out the door.  It didn't take long there for my finger tips to start hurting.  Oh my, did they ever....and my strumming is rusty too.  It is really going to be a challenge when I get the 12 string back in rotation.  Good thing I love the instrument so much, despite my lack of talent and effort I put into it.

Today, I did get into the shop.  I put the jointer away until the set screws come in and decided to take a look at the Record No 078 Rabbet plane that I bought at the Cider fest.  I let the camera roll through most of it and now have a new video to edit and get up.  I really didn't start out to get it completed today, but I have it functioning with about an hours work.  It was in really good shape.  I did a bit of research and as far as I can tell they were made between 1932 and 1980 or so.  I don't think mine is one of the older ones, but, you never know.  It could still use some minor tuning, but it cuts a rabbet, or rebate, depending on where you are from.  So for $20 CAD (about $15 USD)  and about an hour's labour, I have a nicely functioning tool.  I ran out of room on the memory card once and had to load that onto the external hard drive to continue, and just about ran out of batteries on the camera near the end.  I would really like a bit of an improvement in equipment, maybe some day, if the price is right.  All said though, I think I have enough to make a decent video.  I hope to do that tomorrow and get it posted.  I have been remiss in taking still photos though, for that I am sorry, I hope the video makes up for it.  So, until next time....

Thanks for dropping by

No comments:

Post a Comment