Sunday, September 25, 2016

Building a Track Saw guide

Well, I have been working on the coffee table for Sally.  There have been a few photos put up if you recall.  I am finally getting down to getting into the series of videos for that build too.

First of all, I needed something to cut a straight line through the slabs.  A track saw is the perfect vehicle for this job.

I found a scrap of plywood and some cut offs of some ash, and, using the table saw to put a dado into the plywood, I fitted them together.  Because of the dado being made like this, the guide bar has no choice but to be as accurate as the table saw and its fence.

I captured most of it on video, and spent the afternoon editing it today.  Not really part of the coffee table build, but I needed this in order to start on the job.

The next one is not part of the build either.  I had to do some maintenance on the thickness planer before I started milling the wood for the coffee table.  The videos are always a few weeks behind what I am doing....well, usually.  Sometimes I get an idea and put it into action ahead of other things too, so they are not always in order.

I am still struggling along with the coffee table right now.  Trying to get dove tail joints fitting right.  I have not cut many of them, so it is not one of the things I can just bang out like some folks can.  But I am being (or trying to be) patient and taking my time.  There still is a ton of work to do on it and I am still experimenting with the finish I plan on doing.  I could have made more progress on that, but I have been busy in the yard helping Sally do some gardening/landscaping with moving some shrubs and making flower beds.  Of course, there are other things happening around here too.  With the oncoming autumn, the chimney needed cleaning and all sorts of other things need doing too.  Not much of that makes it to video, but I don't think there would be a lot of interest in the mundane day to day things that go on around here.

So, any way, here is my latest video on making a track saw guide for the circular saw.  I hope you enjoy it and maybe it will give you enough to go on to make your own.


Thanks for dropping by

No comments:

Post a Comment